/

Wednesday 8 September 2010

245 Tenth

I discovered today that on October 1st Pentagram will be welcoming their newest partner to their New York offices. Eddie Opara will be the newest partner since Luke Hayman in 2006. Opara will also be bringing his team from the studio he started in 2005, Map Creative.
Upon reading about his move to Pentagram I decided to check out Map's portfolio and one project particularly caught my eye, and even spark one of those "I wish I had designed that" moments.
The logo, stationary and book they designed for 245 Tenth, a building on Tenth avenue, NY designed by architect and interior space designer Della Valle Bernheimer. The identity by Map was influence by binary data and black and white barcode systems, I think it is gorgeous. It is very geometric, but also abstract looking with strong horizontal marks of vary shades of black and grey, however it clearly represents the number 10.
The mark also reflects the structure and design of the building itself which is made up of a multitude of rectangles of glass, some mirrored and others transparent.
A very well executed identity, at the moment I can't take my eyes off it. See the full design here.
Interview with Eddie Opara on Co.Design blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment